Friday, April 4, 2014

A Brick Buyer’s Guide Volume II: Online Shopping

 

Once you gathered your materials, you’re ready to start shopping. You have two paths to choose. Shop online or in store. Both of these offer perks and drawbacks, so it basically comes down to your skills and lifestyle. In store shopping is a great way to go if you can provide your own transportation. Besides, some stores will occasionally offer outrageous deals. I once ran into LEGO at Wal-Mart for 75% off! No, it wasn’t a mistake, but I’ve never seen it since. If you are willing to put the effort into checking your local stores daily, in store shopping is the way to go. If you live far away from a shopping center or any big box stores, then you will want to shop online. Online shopping can be risky and there are several drawbacks, but the only effort you need to put into it is time and research skills.

The #1 rule with online shopping: If a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is. An easy way to protect yourself from drop shipping or other funny business, is to only buy from established sellers or mega online stores. eBay can be great, but drop shipping is a serious problem. You may find yourself easily swindled if you stray too far from reputable websites.

The other drawback is my biggest pet peeve with online shopping and the word that makes me cringe: SHIPPING! Ahh! Why should I pay more money for shipping? Duh, it’s because I don’t have to do any work besides sit in front of a computer and move my fingers. I avoid shipping costs whenever possible. This is why I love Amazon. There is free shipping on their items over $35, formally $25. In addition, Shop@Home now offers free shipping on $75, not hard to get too when you’re buying bricks at full price. 

If you can get free shipping, online shopping offers some great deals. You can regularly find sets for 25% off or more. I personally prefer online shopping because there tends to be better deals than in store. I tend to buy from Amazon, Target, Wal-Mart, and Shop@Home. I have never received a damaged item from Shop@Home or Target, but I have received a damaged book from Amazon and a beat up box from Wal-Mart. I was willing to forego the Wal-Mart issue since I got the set for 60% off. The offer was a mistake, but my savings were real. Some of you may remember the $39.97 City Mine from Wal-Mart in 2012. I was satisfied, although it was a hassle to try and get the set. Please note that I am not affiliated with any of these companies, but I have found several ones that have made some my favorites.

Our next installment will focus on several major e-tailers.